Orebic is found at the end of 15.th and beginning of 16.th century, in the area of Republic of Dubrovnik (Ragusa).
Since it’s beginning, Orebić is turned to sea as the source of living. In the year 1586. seamen family “Orebic” refurbished fort within fortified settlement, named after them – Orebić.
Since 17th century, boats from Peljesac constituted important part of Dubrovnik merchant navy. Ship-owner families became even mightier by organizing and investing in co-owned sailing ships.
Their rise continues under the government of Austrian monarchy, especially in second half of 19th century. Cooperative society for “building (and exploitation) of long range navigation vessels”, later “Maritime society of Pelješac” was found 1865, and 1875. they got equipment for naval yard in Orebić. Shipyard was formally opened by Czar Franz Joseph of Austrian monarchy.
It was mostly used for repairing of ships, and during his existence (13 years) it built 3 long range navigation sailing ships.